VMware recently announced a 2 week availability for the VCAP6-DCV Deploy beta. After some debate I signed up to sit the exam on June 28, 2016. They provide a beta version of the blueprint so I started there to see what had changed from my VCAP5-DCA 5.5 blueprint and notes. I made some quick notes and want to share them here.
Objective 1.1 - Perform Advanced ESXi Host Configuration - All new from 5.5
Objective 1.2 - Deploy and Configure Core Management Infrastructure Components - All new from 5.5
Objective 1.3 - Deploy and Configure Update Manager Components - maps directly to Objective 5.2 on the 5.5 blueprint
Objective 2.1 - Implement Complex Storage Solutions - maps to Objective 1.1 on the 5.5 blueprint but has some changes:
- vVols coverage is new
- vSAN coverage is new
- Configure and view VMFS locking is new
- Storage I/O control and configuring multipathing is covered in Objective 1.3
Objective 2.2 - Manage Complex Storage Solutions - maps to Objective 1.2 on the 5.5 blueprint
- vSAN alarms is new
- Expand (Scale out/Scale up) vSAN hosts is new
Objective 2.3 Troubleshoot Complex Storage Solutions - sorta maps to Objective 1.3 on the 5.5 blueprint
- vSAN is new
- I couldn't find direct relations for the NFS or RDM troubleshooting but may have missed it.
Objective 3.1 - Implement and Manage vSphere Standard Switch Networks - maps to Objective 2.1 on the 5.5 blueprint
- Create a custom TCP/IP Stack is something I couldn't find or remember from 5.5
Objective 3.2 - Implement and Manage vSphere 6.xDistributed Switch Networks - maps to Objective 2.2 on the 5.5 blueprint
- Deploy a LAG and migrate to LACP is new
- Create/Apply traffic marking and filtering rules is new
Objective 3.3 - Scale a vSphere 6.x Network Implementation - maps to Objective 2.3 on the 5.5 blueprint
- Network I/O control 3 (resource pools and reservations)
- Determine and configure vDS port binding settings is new to the blueprint but I remember covering it.
Objective 3.4 - Troubleshoot a vSphere 6.x network Implementation - maps to Objective 2.3 on the 5.5 blueprint
- Perform a vDS Health Check for teaming, MTU, mismatches... is a new feature
- Use command line tools for VLAN is in old Objective 2.2
- Use DCUI to correct network connectivity issues is new
Objective 4.1 - Implement and Maintain Complex vSphere Availability Solutions maps to Objective 3.1 on the 5.5 blueprint
- Configure VM Component Protection (VMCP) is new
- Configure Fault Tolerance for multi-vCPU VMs is new
- Noticeably absent is any discussion on HA Slot Sizes or Admission Control.
Objective 4.2 - Implement and Manage Complex DRS Solutions maps exactly to Objective 3.2 on the 5.5 blueprint
Objective 4.3 - Troubleshoot vSphere Clusters - is newish and sorta covered in Objective 3.3 on the 5.5 blueprint
- Resolve DRS/HA Faults is new
- Troubleshoot DRS/HA config issues is new
- Troubleshoot vSAN/HA interoperability is new
Objective 5.1 - Execute VMware Cmdlets and Customize Scripts using PowerCLI - maps to Objective 7.1 on the 5.5 blueprint.
- Use PowerCLI to configure and administer Auto Deploy (Including Image Builder) is new
- Create a report from a PowerCLI script is new
Objective 5.2 - Implement and Maintain Host Profiles - maps to Objective 5.1 on the 5.5 blueprint
- Configure stateful caching and installation for host deployment is new
Objective 5.3 - Manage and analyze vSphere log files - maps to Objective 5.4 on the 5.5 blueprint
- Configure logging levels for vSphere isn't explicitly on the 5.5 blueprint but I remember watching a video that included this while studying.
Objective 5.4 - Configure and manage Content Library - totally new topic
Objective 6.1 - Utilize Advanced vSphere Performance Monitoring Tools - maps exactly to Objective 4.1 on the 5.5 blueprint
Objective 6.2 - Optimize Virtual Machine Resources - maps to objective 4.2 on the 5.5 blueprint
- Configure Flash Read Cache reservations is covered in 1.1 on the 5.5 blueprint
- Optimize a VM for latency sensitive workloads is new
Objective 7.1 - Deploy and manage vSphere Replication - maps to Objective 4.4 on the 5.5 blueprint
- Configure and manage a vSphere Replication Infrastructure has more detail:
- Isolate vSphere Replication network traffic is new
- Enable data compression of vSphere Replication traffic is new
- Analyze and resolve vSphere Replication issues also has more detail but not exactly new
- Storage Configuration
- Multiple point in time snapshots
- Enabling vSphere Replication on VMs
Objective 7.2 - Deploy and Manage vSphere Data Protection is a totally new topic
Objective 7.3 - Backup and Recover vSphere Configurations feels familiar but I couldn't find it on the 5.5 blueprint
Objective 8.1 - Configure a vSphere 6.x Environment for Security - maps to Objective 6.1 on the 5.5 blueprint but there is a lot of security changes.
- Add/edit Remove users on ESXi hosts can be centrally managed now
- Enable and configure ESXi Pass Phrase is new
- Disable the Managed Object Browser (MOB) to reduce attach surface is new
Objective 8.2 - Manage SSL certificates - maps to Objective 6.2 on the 5.5 blueprint but once again, certificates are different in 6.0 so this really needs to be reviewed
- Configure and manage VMware Certificate Authority is new
- Configure and manage VMware Endpoint Certificate Store is new
Objective 8.3 - Harden a vSphere 6.x Deployment - maps to Objective 6.1 on the 5.5 blueprint. To be a broken record there are major differences here
- Enable and configure ESXi Lockdown mode (Strict/Normal) is new
- Configure a user on the Lockdown Mode Exception Users list is new
- Enable strong passwords and configure password policies are handled differently now with an advanced setting
- Configure vSphere hardening of virtual machines is a new topic but probably a combination of all this.
This helped me look through and hopefully help me narrow down on topics. Auto-deploy is rampant throughout this blueprint and an area I really need to prioritize. Also there is a lot of vSAN.
If you notice anywhere I messed up, missed a topic, or have any comments please let me know!